- “Comprehensive Transportation Plan for French Broad River MPO and Rural Areas of Buncombe, Haywood and Henderson Counties” (hereinafter “Comprehensive Transportation Plan”) which serves as a vision for the future transportation system (adopted January 18, 2008);
- “Transportation 2030: The Long Range Multi-Modal Plan for Buncombe, Haywood, and Henderson Counties” (hereinafter “Long Range Multi-Modal Plan”) which identifies transportation improvements and programs to be carried out over the next 25 years; and
- “Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)” which lists projects proposed for the next seven (7) years.
Beyond the MPO process, Henderson County also works directly with NCDOT. County staff works with NCDOT district and local county engineers on projects within the County by providing feedback and keeping track of project progress. Matthew Cable serves as Henderson County's Transportation Planner. The Planning Director also manages the Apple Country Transit System. Henderson County has an appointed Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC). The TAC is comprised mostly of local government MPO representatives who meet regularly to:
- Discuss local transportation issues;
- Receive updates from the NCDOT district engineer regarding progress on projects (Transportation Improvements Projects (TIP) and secondary road projects); and
- Take input from the public regarding its concerns and issues related to transportation.
Contacting the NCDOT (North Carolina Department of Transportation)
NCDOT Headquarters are located at 1 South Wilmington Street in Raleigh, NC. NCDOT Customer Service Office answers the toll-free customer service line, 1-877-DOT-4YOU, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, with extended hours as necessary for emergencies.NCDOT also has 14 regional offices. The regional office contact for Henderson County maintenance projects is Steve Cannon, P.E.
Steve Cannon, P.E., District Engineer
Contacting the NCDMV (North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles)
For answers to questions about DMV issues such as driver license renewal or vehicle registration, call (919) 715-7000.